Dear Red Oaks Parents,
We are proud to announce that The Red Oaks Middle School has been authorized as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for the Middle Years Programme (MYP)! We are the first school in Morris County (and one of only five schools in NJ) to achieve this prestigious designation! As an IB World School, we are part of a fast-growing global community of 4,655 schools offering 6,068 programs, and teaching more than a million students in 160 countries around the world.
IBMYP sets high standards and prioritizes creative and critical thinking. The program emphasizes research and encourages students to learn from their peers, actively critiquing one another's work. Communication, in all of its forms, is practiced extensively as IB expects students to become actively involved in the world around them. Through the individualized and self-directed Community Project, students demonstrate responsible action through learning. All IB programmes aim "to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect."
Montessori and IB share a common philosophy:
- Both programs aim to create a better world through mutual cultural understanding.
- IB and Montessori are student-centered and based on educational research. They aim to foster a child's natural curiosity and desire to learn by providing relevant and meaningful experiences and content, within the appropriate developmental stage of the child.
- The Montessori and IB classroom is purposeful, and provides choice and acknowledgement of individual interests and needs. Walk into an IB or Montessori classroom, and you will see movement and collaboration, lively discussion, and methodical building of academic skills, as the students actively participate in their learning.
- Montessori and IB teachers are guides and coaches who facilitate inquiry and hands-on learning, reflection, and action.
- Finally, both Montessori and IB address the whole child, with a balance of the arts, humanities, sciences, and physical and social-emotional education.
On June 6, 2017, our Middle School will host a Celebration of Learning that reflects the work of our children in the first year of the IB program. Parents at both the Cutler and Speedwell campuses are invited to attend the open house, which will take place at the Middle School, beginning at 8:30 AM and ending 9:45 AM. It is our hope that many of you will take advantage of this opportunity to see the IB MYP in action.
This is a milestone in our 52-year history!
Marilyn E. Stewart
Head of School